YAFOOEY!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Memories
by Breezey Breezey Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:37 am

» Bombing Run for January 8th - This is what Panic Looks Like
by Breezey Breezey Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:14 am

» Music
by Breezey Breezey Fri May 24, 2019 2:03 pm

» I was sure the site was lost!
by Breezey Breezey Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:39 am

» Questions Only
by Breezey Breezey Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:14 pm

» Any plans for the near future/summer months?
by Breezey Breezey Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:35 pm

» More music!
by Tater Salad Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:42 am

» More good music!
by Breezey Breezey Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:38 pm

» Third Letter - Third Word - Make Three Words (word game)
by Tater Salad Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:12 am

» Stay Off-Topic Thread
by Tater Salad Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:11 am

» Rain, water and related things!
by Breezey Breezey Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:32 am

» Sad Song Lyrics
by Breezey Breezey Sat May 05, 2018 8:32 am

» What is a redneck?
by Breezey Breezey Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:19 pm

» A simple question...what are you doing now that spring is here?
by Breezey Breezey Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:50 pm

» Seeing (Each new day)
by Breezey Breezey Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:40 am

NEW YAFOOEY UPDATES
Subscribe to NEW YAFOOEY UPDATES by Email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

ASK AND ANSWER

DAILY VARIETY

______________________________________________________________________br"

PUBLIC
FAMILY AND FRIENDS
JOBS AND CAREERS ___________________________________________________________________________
COMPUTER SKILLS AND TECHNOLOGY
GENERAL COMPUTER QUESTIONS
INTERNET AND SITES

SPORTS
WORD PLAY

HOUSEHOLD HINTS AND TIPS
LAWN AND GARDEN

THEATER

HOBBIES AND CRAFTS
HOLIDAYS AND SPECIAL OCCASIONS
PLACES AND THINGS OF INTEREST

___________________________________________________________________________ AUTHORS AND BOOKS
POETRY
WRITING IN GENERAL

Rumors, Cyberbullying and Anonymity

3 posters

Go down

Rumors, Cyberbullying and Anonymity Empty Rumors, Cyberbullying and Anonymity

Post by Ja'aj Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:10 pm

"Cyberbullying" is becoming a frequent topic and a genuine concern.
I thought some of us might be interested in this...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Q&A: Rumors, Cyberbullying and Anonymity
By DAVID POGUE
Published: July 22, 2010

Last week in this space, I shared excerpts from an interview with David Mikkelson, half of the husband-and-wife team behind Snopes.com, the online clearinghouse for Internet rumors and urban legends.

So I thought this week, I'd share with you a piece of another interview for that segment. This time, the subject is John Palfrey, Harvard Law School professor, co-director of Harvard's Berkman Center for Internet & Society, and author of "Born Digital: Understanding the First Generation of Digital Natives."

(John Palfrey is a professor of law and co-director of the Berkman Center for Internet & Society at Harvard Law School.)

David Pogue: What experience do you bring to the Internet rumors issue?

John Palfrey: I study, in particular, how young people use technology, how they relate to one another. And one of the big things is they've moved their social lives, by and large, online. Places like Facebook and on services like Twitter, they're spreading a lot of information, including rumors about one another.

DP: How does the Internet make rumor different than it was pre-Internet?

JP: I think it's somewhat more explosive to spread a rumor on the Internet. Because it spreads so quickly, and the scale, the scope of it can be much greater. One of the things you hear from people who have been the victim of a malicious rumor is that the hurt is more, because so many people could have seen it so quickly and it's so hard to respond to it.

DP: Is it that more people DO see it, or that when you read a rumor about yourself or your company you WORRY that more people can see it?

JP: It's a combination of the two. In reality, as more and more social life for grownups and kids alike is going online, more people are seeing information in this format. But I think there's also the sense from the person who's being harmed by it that, oh my God, any one of over a billion people could have seen this thing about me and it's so embarrassing.

DP: You sound as though you're talking more about kids bullying and stuff like that. Or is everything you've said so far applicable to companies and --

JP: I think these are general statements about anyone. Rumors can be spread by kids about other kids in a cyberbullying context. Rumors certainly are spread about companies which damage their identity and their brand and their image. They're certainly spread about politicians. They're even written about columnists.

DP: (LAUGHS) No!

JP: Never!

DP: Is there a certain type of rumor that catches on more easily on the Internet? Like, if I wanted to start one, are there certain buttons I should push?

JP: The more salacious, the better. The more believable, and yet something that's a little bit edgy.

DP: Do kids today have a keen sense of what's credible?

JP: There's a really broad range in the kids that we've interviewed, from the more sophisticated to the most gullible. And I think this is just like life in the offline world, where there are some people that believe virtually nothing on the Internet, and others who will believe anything they read. I think we're seeing that same range play out here. It's an important public issue in schools to make sure the kids are as digitally literate as they are in the offline world, too.

DP: Right. I just don't know how much emphasis is being put on how kids should filter, process, and learn to judge what they read.

JP: I think almost no emphasis is being put on giving kids the skills that they need to sort credible from non-credible information. Schools have to wake up and have to give those skills to our kids. It's the critical thinking skill of the 21st century that they're going to need, sorting credible from not credible information. And I think we're asleep at the switch.

DP: I agree. Let's rise up.

JP: There we go. Right.

DP: What would a syllabus be for a course on Internet credibility?

JP: I would use Wikipedia. I think it's a fabulous, fabulous place to turn. Because some of the information is absolutely credible and really useful.

I look after the page about Alexander Hamilton. I think it's a fabulous encyclopedia entry. You can learn much more about Hamilton's life on that page than on any other encyclopedia entry. But there are lots of stories where people have introduced lots of false information through Wikipedia and it remains there.

So I think that the skill of figuring out which Wikipedia entry is more or less credible and figuring out how to use the History tab in Wikipedia. How do you look at the discussions that have played out there? How do you figure out about who the sources are who have written things? I think that could be a great syllabus in and of itself.

DP: So many of the things that are wrong with the Internet have to do with anonymity. What would be wrong with everyone being attached to their own names everywhere they go on the Internet?

JP: I think it'd be great if more people were more accountable about how their lead their lives online. And if people, in fact, used their real names more frequently.

Facebook has an advantage, for instance, over some other social networks because people tend more likely to be themselves. But the fear around anonymity is that there are places in the world where it's very important. People are able to be anonymous and to say things about their government, for instance, without the likelihood that they're going to be put in jail the next day. But I think in everyday life, for kids dealing with one another, or grownups dealing with one another, or corporations dealing with one another, we should be much more accountable and we should use our real names.

DP: Can you tell me what cyberbullying is and give me an example of it?

JP: Cyberbullying is when kids treat one another awfully online, when they hurt one another psychologically. So an example might be going onto Facebook and saying something cruel about one of your peers on their Web pages, their Facebook page. It might be going on MySpace and posting something there. It might be spreading something on a service like Twitter. It's the act of bullying, only doing it online.

DP: Is the host of the service at all responsible? Does Facebook have any responsibility to take off hate speech?

JP: The host is not liable at all. This is part of federal law and it lets off the hook anyone who is a mere conduit of this information. And this is one of the big debates in the law. Is a site like Craigslist, for instance, responsible for things that are posted on Craigslist? And the basic answer is no.

DP: So this has been tested in court?

JP: It's been tested hundreds of times in court. It's the Communications Decency Act, section 230. And it's been held up consistently.

DP: Is cyberbullying part of Internet rumors?

JP: Very much part of it. If we look at what are the harms that are happening to kids online, the most common harm is psychological harm.

Sometimes it's a rumor that happens to be true, and those are often the ones that hurt the most. So it's not only that people are starting false rumors, but it's the extent to which young people are playing out their relationships online—sometimes relationships that probably should have been kept offline.

DP: How widespread is this?

JP: Extraordinarily widespread. So if you were to ask young people about the most likely harm that they're going to have experienced, it's almost invariably bullying online that they tell you.

DP: Is there anything to be done? I mean, my kids get told, "Don't cyberbully," but does it do any good?

JP: It's awfully hard. I think your note about wanting kids to be more accountable for who they are, not to hide behind anonymity when they're dealing with one another, is very important. But we should not pass a law against cyberbullying.

DP: We shouldn't?

JP: No. No.

DP: Why not?

JP: Well, there's a bill pending before Congress, the Megan Meier Cyberbullying Act, which would criminalize the amount of human-to-human interaction on the Web. I think we don't want to fill our jails with teenagers who are trying to figure out how to deal with one another.

DP: Have you ever been the victim of a blog attack or a rumor?

JP: Nothing too nasty. But everyone will start now that I'm doing this. (LAUGHS)

##
Ja'aj
Ja'aj
WITCH!
WITCH!

Back to top Go down

Rumors, Cyberbullying and Anonymity Empty Re: Rumors, Cyberbullying and Anonymity

Post by Breezey Breezey Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:03 am

Online bullying is becoming a bigger problem all the time.
It's really great that people are recognizing the fact that online bullying is causing problems and damage to others personally.

We don't want to fill our jails with teens, but... some sort of consequence needs to be in place for those who find pleasure in tearing others down.
Breezey Breezey
Breezey Breezey
SNOOKUMS
SNOOKUMS

Back to top Go down

Rumors, Cyberbullying and Anonymity Empty Re: Rumors, Cyberbullying and Anonymity

Post by JackRabbit Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:36 pm

OK ... get ready ... dancing bunny
I'm gonna sound like an "old codger" now ...
"Can you believe these kids today?" ... rollonfloor
Why do they take everything that's written on the net as gospel? I heard it said somewhere, that the net is just like a big bathroom wall ... and we all know what kinda stuff gets written in there! Why pay so much attention to it? don\'t know
You don't like it ... click "delete" and go outside to play!

Makes me thankful to have gone through school when I did.
If anything, we had to worry about REAL bullys, not ones that hide behind a computer screen. ... I will climb down from my soapbox now and return you to regular programming here on the Yafooey network ... wave
JackRabbit
JackRabbit
TROUBLE
TROUBLE

Back to top Go down

Post by Breezey Breezey Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:08 pm

JackRabbit wrote:OK ... get ready ... dancing bunny
I'm gonna sound like an "old codger" now ...
"Can you believe these kids today?" ... rollonfloor
Why do they take everything that's written on the net as gospel? I heard it said somewhere, that the net is just like a big bathroom wall ... and we all know what kinda stuff gets written in there! Why pay so much attention to it? don\'t know
You don't like it ... click "delete" and go outside to play!

Makes me thankful to have gone through school when I did.
If anything, we had to worry about REAL bullys, not ones that hide behind a computer screen. ... I will climb down from my soapbox now and return you to regular programming here on the Yafooey network ... wave

Jack, some of those bullies ARE from your real life. They find kids and adults they know on the internet and attack them there, as well as in daily life. The internet is not always so anonymous and seriously... the internet is only getting worse.. not better. Why should decent people be shoved out of places in daily life or internet by those who choose to bully... kind of like little hellion gang members trying to take over a territory.

I guess that's my opinion.
Breezey Breezey
Breezey Breezey
SNOOKUMS
SNOOKUMS

Back to top Go down

Post by JackRabbit Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:35 pm

lollipop All, very good points Breezey Deeee!
After all, what does it cost to be civil and just respect other people? Obviously, some people were not raised with the same morals as the esteemed individuals of high character who hang-out on Yafooey.
JackRabbit
JackRabbit
TROUBLE
TROUBLE

Back to top Go down

Post by Ja'aj Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:46 pm

Breezey Breezey wrote:Online bullying is becoming a bigger problem all the time.
It's really great that people are recognizing the fact that online bullying is causing problems and damage to others personally.

We don't want to fill our jails with teens, but... some sort of consequence needs to be in place for those who find pleasure in tearing others down.

Bree,

"We don't want to fill our jails with teens," (?) Oh, I don't know... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
How about we fill our jails with their PARENTS?

(unlike you and me - and just-about anyone I've EVER know personally)

Apparently LOTS of parents aren't bothering to instill any sort
of character values in their offspring.
Ja'aj
Ja'aj
WITCH!
WITCH!

Back to top Go down

Post by Breezey Breezey Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:49 pm

Jack, you make people of Yafooey sound a little snobby... is that the right word? lol
Hmmm... snobby isn't the right word, is it?

I just don't see why bullies should get to take over playgrounds and the rest have to find somewhere else to go.

You are right about others not playing nicely, like Yafooey is set up to have. Maybe too much is the problem because people can't monitor what everyone is doing. Or maybe making sites a business is the problem because nobody cares to monitor them beyond a very minimum.
Breezey Breezey
Breezey Breezey
SNOOKUMS
SNOOKUMS

Back to top Go down

Post by Breezey Breezey Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:51 pm

Ja'aj wrote:
Breezey Breezey wrote:Online bullying is becoming a bigger problem all the time.

Bree,

"We don't want to fill our jails with teens," (?) Oh, I don't know... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
How about we fill our jails with their PARENTS?

(unlike you and me - and just-about anyone I've EVER know personally)

Apparently LOTS of parents aren't bothering to instill any sort
of character values in their offspring.

I think parents should be notified of a problem.. some honestly don't know their children are being bullies at school, parks, internet, etc.. If a parent chooses to let it go, then something more needs to be done.
Breezey Breezey
Breezey Breezey
SNOOKUMS
SNOOKUMS

Back to top Go down

Post by Ja'aj Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:55 pm

JackRabbit wrote: lollipop All, very good points Breezey Deeee!
After all, what does it cost to be civil and just respect other people? Obviously, some people were not raised with the same morals as the esteemed individuals of high character who hang-out on Yafooey.

Hiya, Bunny!

Thank you very much! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Apparently "morals" - of any kind!- aren't being passed on to
"the youth of today". And - since learning anything - anywhere- isn't "cool"...
they can't be relied on to learn it from a friend or in friend's home, either.
One thing that seems to be (semi) effective is JAIL.
I'm so far out of patience I'm for that.
Hey, it worked (apparently / so far) with *shudder* Paris Hilton...
and I'd have been willing to bet she was too stupid to learn ANYTHING. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Ja'aj
Ja'aj
WITCH!
WITCH!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ja'aj Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:03 pm

"I think parents should be notified of a problem.. some honestly
don't know their children are being bullies at school, parks, internet,
etc.. If a parent chooses to let it go, then something more needs to be
done."

Bree,
Me too and that's fine - I'm all for it.
However, I have, (and I bet you have too)on more than
one ocassion, attempted to point out a "flaw" in a parent's
little precious, only to discover where the little precious
LEARNED the behavior..
Maybe we can JAIL the whole family in that event? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

EDIT:
The most prominent ecent "case" is the bratty obnoxious
TWELVE-year old (allegedly, she was fightng "back" )
regrdless,
(and the little darling's language and deportment aside)
HER DAD!! got on line and into the act - [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
NOW I know where she learned it.

Last edited by Ja'aj on Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ja'aj
Ja'aj
WITCH!
WITCH!

Back to top Go down

Post by Breezey Breezey Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:07 pm

A whole family! lmao!!! That would be something!!

Well... IP addresses can be located and addresses determined, no matter what some sites wish to believe or tell us. Ban home computers that don't care to play nice. I don't care if it's fair... it will make the rest that live with a bully think long and hard about stopping the B.S.
Breezey Breezey
Breezey Breezey
SNOOKUMS
SNOOKUMS

Back to top Go down

Post by Ja'aj Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:13 pm

Breezey Breezey wrote:A whole family! lmao!!! That would be something!!

Well... IP addresses can be located and addresses determined, no matter what some sites wish to believe or tell us. Ban home computers that don't care to play nice. I don't care if it's fair... it will make the rest that live with a bully think long and hard about stopping the B.S.

MEEE TOO!
Hell, if the cops and the F.B.I can do it then millions of nerds have
been doing it forvever!
Regrdless of chicken-sh*t, lazy "don't want to hurt the profits" site
that claim otherwise.
BULL.THAT is purely about the $$.
Ja'aj
Ja'aj
WITCH!
WITCH!

Back to top Go down

Post by Breezey Breezey Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:24 pm

Can you imagine the difference if people and their computers were actually kicked off sites and internet for doing things that definitely went against being decent?
Breezey Breezey
Breezey Breezey
SNOOKUMS
SNOOKUMS

Back to top Go down

Post by Ja'aj Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:19 am

Breezey Breezey wrote:Can you imagine the difference if people and their computers were actually kicked off sites and internet for doing things that definitely went against being decent?

Yeah I can! For one thing, I'd still be happy on Y!A
I can also imagine the whining about loss of "freedom"
and "That's not what the internet is about [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] "
Boo-hoo.
That's the garbage that leads me to wonder if those
people think the internet is about rampant crime...
Those are the people that caused cops and laws to come about.
Ja'aj
Ja'aj
WITCH!
WITCH!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ja'aj Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:51 pm

"Why should decent people be shoved out of places in daily life or
internet by those who choose to bully... kind of like little hellion
gang members trying to take over a territory."

Bree,
Write it up and I'll sign it!
I hate bullies and I am more than tired of a bunch
of punks with zero life-expectancy running the world. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Ja'aj
Ja'aj
WITCH!
WITCH!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down