YAFOOEY!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Memories
by Breezey Breezey Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:37 am

» Bombing Run for January 8th - This is what Panic Looks Like
by Breezey Breezey Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:14 am

» Music
by Breezey Breezey Fri May 24, 2019 2:03 pm

» I was sure the site was lost!
by Breezey Breezey Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:39 am

» Questions Only
by Breezey Breezey Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:14 pm

» Any plans for the near future/summer months?
by Breezey Breezey Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:35 pm

» More music!
by Tater Salad Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:42 am

» More good music!
by Breezey Breezey Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:38 pm

» Third Letter - Third Word - Make Three Words (word game)
by Tater Salad Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:12 am

» Stay Off-Topic Thread
by Tater Salad Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:11 am

» Rain, water and related things!
by Breezey Breezey Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:32 am

» Sad Song Lyrics
by Breezey Breezey Sat May 05, 2018 8:32 am

» What is a redneck?
by Breezey Breezey Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:19 pm

» A simple question...what are you doing now that spring is here?
by Breezey Breezey Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:50 pm

» Seeing (Each new day)
by Breezey Breezey Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:40 am

NEW YAFOOEY UPDATES
Subscribe to NEW YAFOOEY UPDATES by Email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

ASK AND ANSWER

DAILY VARIETY

______________________________________________________________________br"

PUBLIC
FAMILY AND FRIENDS
JOBS AND CAREERS ___________________________________________________________________________
COMPUTER SKILLS AND TECHNOLOGY
GENERAL COMPUTER QUESTIONS
INTERNET AND SITES

SPORTS
WORD PLAY

HOUSEHOLD HINTS AND TIPS
LAWN AND GARDEN

THEATER

HOBBIES AND CRAFTS
HOLIDAYS AND SPECIAL OCCASIONS
PLACES AND THINGS OF INTEREST

___________________________________________________________________________ AUTHORS AND BOOKS
POETRY
WRITING IN GENERAL

What are your thoughts on raised flower/garden beds?

3 posters

Go down

What are your thoughts on raised flower/garden beds? Empty What are your thoughts on raised flower/garden beds?

Post by Breezey Breezey Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:02 am

I have seen the ones you can move and ones to stay where they are set...wondering if anyone has any experience with them or knows anyone who does and what people think of them.
Breezey Breezey
Breezey Breezey
SNOOKUMS
SNOOKUMS

Back to top Go down

What are your thoughts on raised flower/garden beds? Empty Re: What are your thoughts on raised flower/garden beds?

Post by Tater Salad Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:52 am

They are a lot easier to work on, since you don't have to stoop as low as when the beds are on the ground. Plus, they are less vulnerable to pests, and easier to keep free of weeds.
Tater Salad
Tater Salad
TROUBLE
TROUBLE

Back to top Go down

What are your thoughts on raised flower/garden beds? Empty Re: What are your thoughts on raised flower/garden beds?

Post by Breezey Breezey Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:55 am

I've never tried to use a raised garden, but see the neighbors threw away a wood box... time to retrieve it! lol
Breezey Breezey
Breezey Breezey
SNOOKUMS
SNOOKUMS

Back to top Go down

Post by lorry p Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:30 am

Let us know how you go with it please Breezey.. We are thinking about doing that with our vegie patch this time.. We are getting older... lol.
lorry p
lorry p
DEMENTED
DEMENTED

Back to top Go down

Post by Breezey Breezey Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:33 am

If I get that far, I will let you know. lol
Breezey Breezey
Breezey Breezey
SNOOKUMS
SNOOKUMS

Back to top Go down

Post by lorry p Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:49 am

I will be very interested to see what you think ):
lorry p
lorry p
DEMENTED
DEMENTED

Back to top Go down

Post by Breezey Breezey Sat May 28, 2016 9:20 pm

So far, I do believe the plants in the actual garden are doing better than the ones in the raised flower bed.. That could be just a big coincidence. I am still watching.
Breezey Breezey
Breezey Breezey
SNOOKUMS
SNOOKUMS

Back to top Go down

Post by Tater Salad Mon May 30, 2016 3:39 am

Keep in mind that the plants in the raised bed may need to be watered more often, since the soil is more exposed to the drying effects of the sun.
Tater Salad
Tater Salad
TROUBLE
TROUBLE

Back to top Go down

Post by Breezey Breezey Mon May 30, 2016 9:00 am

The plants have plenty of water...they just don't seem to be doing as well...maybe type of soil used is a difference..
Breezey Breezey
Breezey Breezey
SNOOKUMS
SNOOKUMS

Back to top Go down

Post by Tater Salad Tue May 31, 2016 4:10 am

That's a possibility. Have you used any kind of fertilizer?
Tater Salad
Tater Salad
TROUBLE
TROUBLE

Back to top Go down

Post by Breezey Breezey Tue May 31, 2016 10:28 am

I have organic dirt and organic fertilizer, but think the type of dirt is different.... may have to take some out and add a different type to mix in before the next time...
Breezey Breezey
Breezey Breezey
SNOOKUMS
SNOOKUMS

Back to top Go down

Post by lorry p Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:36 pm

Have you tried mulching your plants Breezey and not watering them as much?
lorry p
lorry p
DEMENTED
DEMENTED

Back to top Go down

Post by Breezey Breezey Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:10 am

I have left those plants to work things out on their own. lol Lost a few, but the rest seem to be holding their own... It's kind of odd how one row did better than the other row. Hmmm..
So, had space and used it... took out the dead plants to add two new ones...the two new ones are plants that were growing inside my organic squash. lol They seem to be doing just fine. smile2 
The final thoughts I have... best to just leave plants alone and let nature nurture. lol
Breezey Breezey
Breezey Breezey
SNOOKUMS
SNOOKUMS

Back to top Go down

Post by lorry p Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:50 pm

Over here, in Summer, plants need a helping hand. Nature would take over and eliminate many things that we like to grow. Mulch helps save water and the plants from having their roots baked. You have to go with what your climate is like I guess.
lorry p
lorry p
DEMENTED
DEMENTED

Back to top Go down

Post by Breezey Breezey Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:37 am

Hmmmm... I don't normally have a problem and have never mulched.... tried reading up on that and it seems you need to keep the mulching material away from plant steams...about an inch?
I don't have a big area to work with and that would be "unacceptable". lol
Well, the two new plants... spaghetti squash and the rest of the zucchini are doing okay... It may also have something to do with where I put that box, which is too heavy to move now. lol
Breezey Breezey
Breezey Breezey
SNOOKUMS
SNOOKUMS

Back to top Go down

Post by lorry p Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:04 am

Different climates.. where you live and where I live.. lol.... Yes you do need to keep the mulch back from the plants a little bit.. especially if the mulch is fresh.. matured mulch probably wouldn't hurt the plants. We even use grass clippings from after cutting the lawn...but definitely keep that a bit away from your plants.
lorry p
lorry p
DEMENTED
DEMENTED

Back to top Go down

Post by Breezey Breezey Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:41 pm

finding pictures...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Breezey Breezey
Breezey Breezey
SNOOKUMS
SNOOKUMS

Back to top Go down

Post by Breezey Breezey Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:44 pm

So...  the right, front corner is where two new plants got put...ones I found growing inside my squash. They seem to be doing well...one is bigger and always was. lol
The rest seem to be picking up....
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Breezey Breezey
Breezey Breezey
SNOOKUMS
SNOOKUMS

Back to top Go down

Post by Breezey Breezey Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:45 pm

I think next year, maybe a bit more sunnier spot will help.
Breezey Breezey
Breezey Breezey
SNOOKUMS
SNOOKUMS

Back to top Go down

Post by Breezey Breezey Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:41 am

Maybe you couldn't see the pictures.. I don't know. I just see a square and clicked on it and it gives me a picture to see.
Anyway, the plants are picking up and doing nicely now. smile2  Starting another box for herbs. smile2
Breezey Breezey
Breezey Breezey
SNOOKUMS
SNOOKUMS

Back to top Go down

Post by lorry p Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:39 am

I can see the pics thanks Breezey.. it looks lovely and seems to be doing very well. I would like to start a vegie patch some time this year. And W wants a herb garden. The weather has got really cold here now and with 7 layers of clothing on, I spent most of today outside in the garden. Soon the rain will drive us inside. Happy gardening (:
lorry p
lorry p
DEMENTED
DEMENTED

Back to top Go down

Post by Breezey Breezey Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:26 am

Raining here today too. Seems like I won't be doing much outside. Been trying the concept of a salad garden and the herb garden. lol Always wanting to try something new and different. smile2
Good luck on your garden.  garden
Breezey Breezey
Breezey Breezey
SNOOKUMS
SNOOKUMS

Back to top Go down

Post by lorry p Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:24 pm

It's good to try new things. Gardening is never boring, that's for sure... Nature is amazing.
Enjoy your gardening too (((Hugs))) garden happy dance
lorry p
lorry p
DEMENTED
DEMENTED

Back to top Go down

Post by Breezey Breezey Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:31 am

Well, waiting for it to dry up a bit...not happening with more rain. lol
I think my yard is going to look like a garden again. lol
Breezey Breezey
Breezey Breezey
SNOOKUMS
SNOOKUMS

Back to top Go down

Post by lorry p Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:32 pm

Would you like me to send you some pots over? We bought 2400 potplants that W potted up from cuttings around our garden on the farm.. Now that they are empty, I am wondering what we could do with them all... lol
lorry p
lorry p
DEMENTED
DEMENTED

Back to top Go down

Post by Tater Salad Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:32 am

I could use some pot plants! Oh wait, you meant plant pots...nevermind.
Tater Salad
Tater Salad
TROUBLE
TROUBLE

Back to top Go down

Post by Breezey Breezey Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:59 am

lorry p wrote:Would you like me to send you some pots over? We bought 2400 potplants that W potted up from cuttings around our garden on the farm.. Now that they are empty, I am wondering what we could do with them all... lol
Why not some plants too? Hmmm? lollipop
Breezey Breezey
Breezey Breezey
SNOOKUMS
SNOOKUMS

Back to top Go down

Post by Breezey Breezey Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:00 am

Tater Salad wrote:I could use some pot plants! Oh wait, you meant plant pots...nevermind.
Bad Tater...what  a  baaaaaad Tater!  it was him
Breezey Breezey
Breezey Breezey
SNOOKUMS
SNOOKUMS

Back to top Go down

Post by lorry p Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:02 am

I doubt the plants themselves would get through customs... lol
lorry p
lorry p
DEMENTED
DEMENTED

Back to top Go down

Post by Tater Salad Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:15 am

I think it would depend on what type of plants.
Tater Salad
Tater Salad
TROUBLE
TROUBLE

Back to top Go down

Post by lorry p Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:23 am

Not sure exactly how it works.. chicken to send anything in case I get a fine... lol
lorry p
lorry p
DEMENTED
DEMENTED

Back to top Go down

Post by Tater Salad Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:47 am

Wouldn't they be more concerned about what people try to bring in to the country, rather than what they are exporting?
Tater Salad
Tater Salad
TROUBLE
TROUBLE

Back to top Go down

Post by Breezey Breezey Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:03 am

I think...I am going to find out if I can send seeds at least... If so, I will work from there.... getting an idea.... lol
Breezey Breezey
Breezey Breezey
SNOOKUMS
SNOOKUMS

Back to top Go down

Post by lorry p Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:35 am

I don't know Tater.. There is a show on Tv here called "Border Security" and it shows people being fined for bringing things like that into this country and I can only imagine that it would be the same for sending plant material overseas.
lorry p
lorry p
DEMENTED
DEMENTED

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down