YAFOOEY!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Memories
by Breezey Breezey Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:37 am

» Bombing Run for January 8th - This is what Panic Looks Like
by Breezey Breezey Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:14 am

» Music
by Breezey Breezey Fri May 24, 2019 2:03 pm

» I was sure the site was lost!
by Breezey Breezey Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:39 am

» Questions Only
by Breezey Breezey Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:14 pm

» Any plans for the near future/summer months?
by Breezey Breezey Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:35 pm

» More music!
by Tater Salad Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:42 am

» More good music!
by Breezey Breezey Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:38 pm

» Third Letter - Third Word - Make Three Words (word game)
by Tater Salad Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:12 am

» Stay Off-Topic Thread
by Tater Salad Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:11 am

» Rain, water and related things!
by Breezey Breezey Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:32 am

» Sad Song Lyrics
by Breezey Breezey Sat May 05, 2018 8:32 am

» What is a redneck?
by Breezey Breezey Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:19 pm

» A simple question...what are you doing now that spring is here?
by Breezey Breezey Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:50 pm

» Seeing (Each new day)
by Breezey Breezey Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:40 am

NEW YAFOOEY UPDATES
Subscribe to NEW YAFOOEY UPDATES by Email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

ASK AND ANSWER

DAILY VARIETY

______________________________________________________________________br"

PUBLIC
FAMILY AND FRIENDS
JOBS AND CAREERS ___________________________________________________________________________
COMPUTER SKILLS AND TECHNOLOGY
GENERAL COMPUTER QUESTIONS
INTERNET AND SITES

SPORTS
WORD PLAY

HOUSEHOLD HINTS AND TIPS
LAWN AND GARDEN

THEATER

HOBBIES AND CRAFTS
HOLIDAYS AND SPECIAL OCCASIONS
PLACES AND THINGS OF INTEREST

___________________________________________________________________________ AUTHORS AND BOOKS
POETRY
WRITING IN GENERAL

What is the closest

Go down

What is the closest Empty What is the closest

you have been to a wild animal in the woods. I have been close to Racoons, Deer, and rabbits, ha ha ha , and a Bobcat who was about 50 yds. from me. Then I was close to a black tip reef shark, that was a little scary, and very close to these beautiful spotted Eagle Rays, that are so graceful in the ocean. These guys were mating and their wingspans were about 4 ft. sunny
hoaloha
hoaloha
HONORED MEMBER
HONORED MEMBER

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit

What is the closest :: Comments

roxanna

Post Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:24 am by roxanna

Seals on Kangaroo Island, within a few feet. will scan some pics , this was in the pre digital age. (or the jurasic age as the grand kids call it [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] )
snakes, the closest was about 12 ft, i had the camera focused on it as i went closer, nealy sh*t myself when i saw just how close.
emus, a few yards.

ron, i would love to see your animals up close, but not the shark ,we have them here.and i keep my distace.

Back to top Go down

Tater Salad

Post Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:44 am by Tater Salad

I've been within about 15 feet of an alligator several times, with nothing between me and them but grass. I also have taken pictures of a turtle that I was standing right next to, while it was laying eggs, but they don't quite command the same respect!
I've also been within a few feet of numerous great egrets and blue herons and the like. A couple of summers ago, I was sitting on my front steps when a skunk walked right past me, maybe a yard away! I made sure to sit perfectly still and not make a sound, as not to startle him! I'll never forget the time I was at Marine World, watching dolphins swim in a tank, when one of them reached up to hand me a napkin that had fallen in the water, and he had it on his snout. They let you stand right against the tank, which has a wall that's only a few feet high, not like at Seaworld, where you are at more of a distance.

Back to top Go down

hoaloha

Post Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:48 pm by hoaloha

Wow, great stories. Roxy a snake?? I hate those things. We don't have snakes here, I am so glad. Tater, the dolphin story is amazing, but a skunk that close, wow. An alligator oh man now thats scary.I have also been very close to our turtles but have never seen them lay eggs. Amazing stories thank you. Roxy, are kangaroos dangerous? I know you guys have some serious deadly snakes there. We just have centipedes which I have been bit once, oh they hurt. Scorpions in Ca. but they don't bother anyone. Great stories.

Back to top Go down

roxanna

Post Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:15 pm by roxanna

ron, i am petrified of snakes, and australia has more than a fair share, but usually they are more scared of us. i have learned to respect, rather than mindlessly fear them, it's a long story ,maybe some other time i will be able to share it.
kangaroos are not dangerous normaly, they keep away ,but if you corner one it could do some serious damage with its powerful hind legs.if you come accross them, they will hop away, they dont chase.
emus are curious,in the wild , if you stay in your car ,or right with it, and wave something like a handkerchief, often they will eventually come closer.but as with all wild things that come close, you dont try to touch.
oooohh.. that reminds me saw a koala run accross the road, stoped the car and followed it, it stoped at the base of a small tree and let me get to within about 6 ft.took a photo it moved to the first branch ,which was only about 2ft, off the ground,and i took another photo,we both just sat, looking at each other, for ages. i left first.thanks for jolting the memory ron, other things are coming to mind now !!

Back to top Go down

hoaloha

Post Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:21 pm by hoaloha

Roxy thats amazing. The Koala is such a cool looking bear. You know we have a ton of Eucalapytus trees here from your country and in Ca. It grows so fast and the Koala's love the leaves I believe. Thats amazing, a Kanagaroo, I have only seen them on TV. Australlia has so much, I love sharing things form our countries and how much we learn. I am so happy to see you here.

Back to top Go down

Breezey Breezey

Post Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:06 pm by Breezey Breezey

Deer... three of them walked right up to our car and we were petting them. I made a chipmunk my friend and was feeding it from my hand. We had a raccoon as a pet... it was a damn theif!! lol
I think that's about it for me.

Back to top Go down

hoaloha

Post Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:21 pm by hoaloha

WOW, you were petting deer, amazing. Isn't it cool feeding a chipmunk, I did that, and the racoons well those rascals we had plenty in the redwoods, they tore open my screen on the back porch helped themselves to the cat food, dog food, drank their water, then opened up the barrel of dry dog food, meanwhile my dog is inside going freaking nuts, so I keep him inside and went out to the porch and just opened the doors, the whole family was there, mom dad and the little ones. They scare pretty easy , because of my dog, once they got out, I let the dog outside, they were gone, up the trees they went. They are not stupid and can be very dangerous if cornered. They can tear a dog up but Max was so big, he intimidated them lucky for us. I will never forget that. It was a big screen too and cost me a few dollars to fix it, arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. They are rascally buggers.Of course it was late at night when this happened.

Back to top Go down

roxanna

Post Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:51 pm by roxanna

hoaloha wrote:Roxy thats amazing. The Koala is such a cool looking bear. You know we have a ton of Eucalapytus trees here from your country and in Ca. It grows so fast and the Koala's love the leaves I believe. Thats amazing, a Kanagaroo, I have only seen them on TV. Australlia has so much, I love sharing things form our countries and how much we learn. I am so happy to see you here.

thank you ron, it is amazing to me that a person from hawaii,one from philadelphia and another from , i'm not sure and one from australia can comunicate like this.i have learned a lot from you ,and the others on y/f.
breezey, patting deer is something i would not have expected in my wildest immagination, how exciting that must have been.i have never even seen a real chipmonk.LOL.and you feed them by hand !! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Back to top Go down

Breezey Breezey

Post Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:01 pm by Breezey Breezey

Roxanna,
I find it amazing to know you see kangaroos and koala bears.
I guess we each get use to what is around us and in ways... take it for granted, until someone points out how they never see those things.

Back to top Go down

Tater Salad

Post Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:06 pm by Tater Salad

I agree. The only place I've ever seen kangaroos was on TV and in zoos, and until I lived in Florida, I had never seen an alligator in real life, but they are all over the place down there; they are actually quite common now that they've been protected since the 70's.

Back to top Go down

hoaloha

Post Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:29 pm by hoaloha

It is amazing Roxy and we learn so much from you. Tater I forgot you lived Florida, I have seen stories on the news where people come home from work and a big ole alligator is in the pool, uh, no thanks.

Back to top Go down

Tater Salad

Post Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:41 pm by Tater Salad

Alligators found in pools is an exception rather than the rule, as they normally shy away from areas where they know people will be.

Back to top Go down

roxanna

Post Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:52 am by roxanna

what do aligators feed on ?
are they a threat to humans ? i mean if you just happened to find yourself near one, is it likely to go for you ?

Back to top Go down

Tater Salad

Post Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:09 pm by Tater Salad

They aren't normally likely to go after a human unless they are nesting or feel threatened. I have walked on paths in natural settings until I come to within about 15 feet of one laying on the path, and I just stopped, respected his space, and slowly turned and walked back the other way. They generally eat fish, turtles, birds and small mammals. Even though they can be 10 or 12 feet long, I think they view man as a lot bigger than them, since from their perspective, we are 5 or 6 feet tall and they are barely a foot off the ground. They have been known to kill small dogs, if someone is dumb enough to let them swim in murky water. There are occasionally alligator attacks on humans, but this is an exception rather than the rule, and the human is usually doing something stupid to provoke the attack, like feeding them (a gator can't always tell the difference between a handout and a hand, and it tends to make them lose their natural wariness of man), teasing them, or swimming in waters known to be infested with them.

Back to top Go down

hoaloha

Post Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:48 pm by hoaloha

Alligators, no thanks. Tater ,where in FLORIDA are the majority of those guys, the alligators? Southern Florida, like Miami area, or further south. I am sure glad we don't have any here.

Back to top Go down

Tater Salad

Post Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:04 pm by Tater Salad

There are more of them in Southern Florida, especially the Everglades, but you can expect to find them just about anywhere there is a body of water in a more natural setting. Ron, alligators are not generally aggressive towards humans, and they generally shy away from populated areas.

In all the encounters I have had with them, I never really felt threatened by them, but I respected them enough to give them their space.

Back to top Go down

hoaloha

Post Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:03 pm by hoaloha

That is amazing. There is such a misconception of them, and I have never seen one even in a zoo, that they look so intimidating, but they are just a big ole Lizzard, and I could see them not bothering anyone as long as you don't bother them. They don't still make shoes and stuff out of them do they??

Back to top Go down

Tater Salad

Post Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:09 pm by Tater Salad

Killing them was outlawed for several decades because they were endangered, but the population bounced back so well, that they now allow limited hunts. Nuisance alligators are moved, but if they prove to be a persistant threat, they may be killed and used for their hide and meat.

Back to top Go down

hoaloha

Post Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:30 pm by hoaloha

Interesting, thank you.

Back to top Go down

Tater Salad

Post Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:02 pm by Tater Salad

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down

hoaloha

Post Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:12 pm by hoaloha

Over here the green sea turtle lays her eggs in the nice warm sand, the cool part is when they hatch and run into the ocean. I have seen it on TV but not in real life. We have plenty sea tu[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]rtles here.

Back to top Go down

Tater Salad

Post Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:44 pm by Tater Salad

That actually is sand, with a very light layer of silt mixed in on top. The picture was taken at Alexander Springs in Central Florida, in the Ocala National Forest. In my opinion, it's one of the most beautiful places on earth. On the road there, they actually have bear crossing signs for the (relatively) small black bears that live there!

Back to top Go down

hoaloha

Post Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:32 pm by hoaloha

WOW Tater, thats awesome.

Back to top Go down

Tater Salad

Post Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:05 pm by Tater Salad

Most of the water is only about three to four feet deep, but the light blue/aqua area is above an underwater cavern that's about 20 to 25 feet deep, where water comes from underground springs, which is part of a cave system. The sub-surface there is mostly porous limestone. The springs in Central Florida are all a constant 72 degrees year round, so it actually feels warm in the winter and cool in the summer. It is one of something like 27 first magnitude springs in Florida, which means that at least 2800 liters or 100 cubic feet (2.8 m3) of water per second flows from them.

(That's over 700 gallons per second, or 2.5 million gallons per hour!)

Back to top Go down

hoaloha

Post Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:21 pm by hoaloha

WOW, I wish we had spring water like that. Thats funny, 72 degrees I would be freezing in there. Our ocean here is 80 and in winter maybe 75 to 78. It must be fun to scuba dive in that spring, but wet suit time.

Back to top Go down

tithe

Post Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:42 pm by tithe

ive been very close to wild life at the fishing hole i go to,
deer,snapping turtles,mallard ducks,raccoons, geese,rabbits,
red foxes,and coyotes. coyotes are so noisy and smell all to be damned !!!

Back to top Go down

tithe

Post Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:50 pm by tithe

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

this is the place i fish. it has an abundance of wildlife,it is a waterfowl migratory stop over, i will share some photos this year !!

Back to top Go down

roxanna

Post Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:23 pm by roxanna

BEAUTIFUL, TITHE . looking forward to your photos .

Back to top Go down

tithe

Post Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:38 am by tithe

roxanna wrote:BEAUTIFUL, TITHE . looking forward to your photos .

yeah Rox ! it is a wonderful place,very beautiful !!!

Back to top Go down

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum