YAFOOEY!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Memories
by Breezey Breezey Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:37 am

» Bombing Run for January 8th - This is what Panic Looks Like
by Breezey Breezey Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:14 am

» Music
by Breezey Breezey Fri May 24, 2019 2:03 pm

» I was sure the site was lost!
by Breezey Breezey Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:39 am

» Questions Only
by Breezey Breezey Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:14 pm

» Any plans for the near future/summer months?
by Breezey Breezey Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:35 pm

» More music!
by Tater Salad Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:42 am

» More good music!
by Breezey Breezey Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:38 pm

» Third Letter - Third Word - Make Three Words (word game)
by Tater Salad Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:12 am

» Stay Off-Topic Thread
by Tater Salad Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:11 am

» Rain, water and related things!
by Breezey Breezey Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:32 am

» Sad Song Lyrics
by Breezey Breezey Sat May 05, 2018 8:32 am

» What is a redneck?
by Breezey Breezey Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:19 pm

» A simple question...what are you doing now that spring is here?
by Breezey Breezey Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:50 pm

» Seeing (Each new day)
by Breezey Breezey Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:40 am

NEW YAFOOEY UPDATES
Subscribe to NEW YAFOOEY UPDATES by Email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

ASK AND ANSWER

DAILY VARIETY

______________________________________________________________________br"

PUBLIC
FAMILY AND FRIENDS
JOBS AND CAREERS ___________________________________________________________________________
COMPUTER SKILLS AND TECHNOLOGY
GENERAL COMPUTER QUESTIONS
INTERNET AND SITES

SPORTS
WORD PLAY

HOUSEHOLD HINTS AND TIPS
LAWN AND GARDEN

THEATER

HOBBIES AND CRAFTS
HOLIDAYS AND SPECIAL OCCASIONS
PLACES AND THINGS OF INTEREST

___________________________________________________________________________ AUTHORS AND BOOKS
POETRY
WRITING IN GENERAL

What is your greatest thrift store, rummage sale, garbage picking... find?

Go down

What is your greatest thrift store, rummage sale, garbage picking... find?  Empty What is your greatest thrift store, rummage sale, garbage picking... find?

Have you ever thought you could make a business out of used items?  happy dance happy dance 
Breezey Breezey
Breezey Breezey
SNOOKUMS
SNOOKUMS

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit

What is your greatest thrift store, rummage sale, garbage picking... find? :: Comments

Tater Salad

Post Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:47 am by Tater Salad

At a recycling outpost on the Jersey shore, I found a Geography text book from 1904. Some of the things that struck me how many different countries there were then that no longer exist now and how many countries there are now that didn't exist then, as well as how many have changed in so many ways (think about Russia, China, Africa,...

Also, the attitudes that prevailed back then were quite obviously projected in the writing of the book. For example, when talking about the people of the Sub-Saharan Part of Africa, they comment on the work ethic of the people there, in a derogatory and racist manner.

Back to top Go down

lorry p

Post Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:14 am by lorry p

We call thrift shops.. Op shops here in Australia. The best.. or one of the best things I have found, is a beautiful old frame I bought to put one of my paintings into. it was filthy and I couldn't see the picture. When I got it home, I cleaned it up to discover a beautiful picture. It has pride of place in my lounge room. Op shops are great. I especially love the old books and records.  smile2 

Back to top Go down

Breezey Breezey

Post Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:22 am by Breezey Breezey

Tater, that book is probably worth some bucks! I remember a book once written about blacks learning to talk like whites. I was really shocked that such a book had actually been published!
The things people didn't see a problem with before... and I am now seeing... people weren't so much different before.. just ignorant about different things?

Back to top Go down

Breezey Breezey

Post Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:26 am by Breezey Breezey

Hey Lorry!
I have a picture here too. I found it at a thrift store that had just opened.
It's a Native American Woman and her child. smile2
I did some research and found it may be worth a few dollars, but I don't want to sell it.

Lately, I have been getting things that are worth some money. I pay a few dollars and find some of those things are worth $40-$200!
I get these things with other people in mind, but have been told I could make a lot of money. lol

Back to top Go down

lorry p

Post Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:29 am by lorry p

Howdy Breezey.. It really is amazing what some people see as junk, hey! You could make some good money from selling things you get cheaply from an op shop. My brother and sister in law do just that and re sell through an antique type of mill market and make a considerable bit out of it. Trouble is.. now their shed is FULL of things that they just can't part with.. lol (-:

Back to top Go down

Breezey Breezey

Post Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:37 am by Breezey Breezey

That is exactly my problem! Everything I bring home... I either like or have someone else in mind who will like it.  happy 
So many items are even brand new and make wonderful gifts. smile2

But.. if you actually get into reselling... you then become a business and most likely need a license?

Back to top Go down

lorry p

Post Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:23 am by lorry p

It is a problem.. lol.. My home is full of op shop stuff.. and some things I just can't part with.. ha ha ha. Do you have what we have here? Buy swap sell sites on Facebook? I know you don't like FB but if any of your kids have it. I have sold a bit through there and it all helps.  happy dance happy dance Aren't they just the cutest little guys dancing around like that.

Back to top Go down

roxanna

Post Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:01 pm by roxanna

Breezey and lorry p, you must have a natural knack for picking things of value,as far as I know, I haven't picked up anything of value.I have found a lovely drawing of a street in an old town, but the glass broke ,I still like it but don't think it's valuable.
I never find clothes, but one time I came across a good brand slacks ,tags still attached,for $2.oo now that was a bargain !
speaking of valuable things ,in the early/mid eighties I was given a Beatles vinyl album ,it has scribbles and beatle names on it,I was told it was the real thing, I'll have to check that one out, I could use the money.....if it's real... thinking 

Back to top Go down

Breezey Breezey

Post Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:05 pm by Breezey Breezey

Roxanna, that one album would be amazing!
I bought a record player/stereo. It looks like an old desk from schools with the ink well. lol
I paid so little and found it's worth a couple hundred dollars, if not more. It all works! smile2 I'd love to play that album on it!  happy 

Back to top Go down

roxanna

Post Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:54 am by roxanna

I'll look for it later, and post a picture of it .

Back to top Go down

Breezey Breezey

Post Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:15 pm by Breezey Breezey

This is the record player I found for $14. Everything works, no pieces missing and
I find I can't part with it! lol
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Back to top Go down

Breezey Breezey

Post Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:16 pm by Breezey Breezey

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The one pictured is one being sold on Ebay for a lot more than I paid for mine and the record part is missing a needle and doesn't work. From what I understand, the bid is at $118 and has 8 days left for bidding.

Back to top Go down

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down