YAFOOEY!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Memories
by Breezey Breezey Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:37 am

» Bombing Run for January 8th - This is what Panic Looks Like
by Breezey Breezey Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:14 am

» Music
by Breezey Breezey Fri May 24, 2019 2:03 pm

» I was sure the site was lost!
by Breezey Breezey Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:39 am

» Questions Only
by Breezey Breezey Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:14 pm

» Any plans for the near future/summer months?
by Breezey Breezey Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:35 pm

» More music!
by Tater Salad Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:42 am

» More good music!
by Breezey Breezey Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:38 pm

» Third Letter - Third Word - Make Three Words (word game)
by Tater Salad Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:12 am

» Stay Off-Topic Thread
by Tater Salad Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:11 am

» Rain, water and related things!
by Breezey Breezey Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:32 am

» Sad Song Lyrics
by Breezey Breezey Sat May 05, 2018 8:32 am

» What is a redneck?
by Breezey Breezey Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:19 pm

» A simple question...what are you doing now that spring is here?
by Breezey Breezey Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:50 pm

» Seeing (Each new day)
by Breezey Breezey Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:40 am

NEW YAFOOEY UPDATES
Subscribe to NEW YAFOOEY UPDATES by Email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

ASK AND ANSWER

DAILY VARIETY

______________________________________________________________________br"

PUBLIC
FAMILY AND FRIENDS
JOBS AND CAREERS ___________________________________________________________________________
COMPUTER SKILLS AND TECHNOLOGY
GENERAL COMPUTER QUESTIONS
INTERNET AND SITES

SPORTS
WORD PLAY

HOUSEHOLD HINTS AND TIPS
LAWN AND GARDEN

THEATER

HOBBIES AND CRAFTS
HOLIDAYS AND SPECIAL OCCASIONS
PLACES AND THINGS OF INTEREST

___________________________________________________________________________ AUTHORS AND BOOKS
POETRY
WRITING IN GENERAL

Have you ever eaten, or made, Perogis?

5 posters

Go down

Have you ever eaten, or made, Perogis? Empty Have you ever eaten, or made, Perogis?

Post by Breezey Breezey Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:33 am

I'm going to be trying this some time soon. lol

PEROGI
Dough:
15 3/4 oz. (3 1/2 cups) all-purpose flour; more for dusting
3 large eggs
2 tbs. sour cream
1 c. water; more as needed
Butter or vegetable oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
In a large bowl, combine the flour, eggs, sour cream, and 1/2 cup of water. Stir, beating the eggs as you mix. Gradually add the rest of the water, stirring until the mixture begins to come together. Turn the dough onto a well-floured surface. Knead gently with your fingertips, lifting the dough off the counter and dropping it down (the dropping technique is key for delicate and pliable dough), taking care not to overwork it. Knead until the ingredients are blended and the dough is smooth on the outside and slightly sticky when poked, 2 to 5 min. Gather in a ball, wrap in plastic, and let rest for at least 20 min. while you make the filling (see below). While you fill the pierogis, put 5 qt. water on to boil. Drop the perogis in batches into the boiling water, stirring occasionally. When they float to the top, cook for another 2 to 4 min.; bite into one to check that there's no chalky line. Drain in a colander or fish them out with a spider and put them in a bowl. Sauté as described below or simply a dollop of butter and salt and pepper; jostle the bowl to toss.
To sauté the perogis:
Warm 1 1/2 tbs. butter or 3 tbs. vegetable oil in a sauté pan over medium-high heat. Without crowding the pan, add the boiled, drained perogis and sauté until golden brown and puffy on both sides.
Potato Filling:
3 medium baking potatoes (about 1 1/2 lb.), peeled and cut in 1-inch slices
2 tbs. unsalted butter; more as needed
1 tbs. vegetable oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, finely minced
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
2 cups finely shredded white cabbage (about 1/4 very small cabbage)
2 tbs. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 tsp. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Put the potatoes in a pot with just enough cold salted water to cover them and boil until soft, 15 to 20 min. Meanwhile, melt the butter with the oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and thyme. Cook until the onions are translucent, about 2 min. Add the cabbage and cook, stirring occasionally, until the cabbage starts to soften and brown at the edges, about 8 min.
If you want extra flavor, substitute a few tablespoons of schmaltz (chicken fat) for the butter. It may not sound too appealing, but once my mother asked the Polish lady who shared her recipe for perogi what was missing in her pierogi since they were not quite the same as those produced by the Polish lady herself. The woman was happy to relay the recipe "secret" that she used chicken fat to fry the onions. If you're concerned about using chicken fat, try adding a 1/4 teaspoon of Minor's chicken base to your butter instead (not as good but a fair substitution).

Lower the heat and continue cooking until the cabbage and onion are nicely browned and caramelized, about 20 min. Season with salt and pepper. You may need to add 1 tbs. or more of butter or oil, as the mixture will absorb quite a bit of fat. Set aside to cool. When the potatoes are tender, drain them in a colander and press lightly with a dry kitchen towel to dry them thoroughly. Return the potatoes to their hot pot and shake them dry. Remove the pot from the heat; add the cooled cabbage mixture, the cheese, and the parsley. Mash the ingredients until they're well blended and there are no more potato lumps; you may want to use a stiff whisk. Season again with salt and pepper. Set aside to cool while you roll out the pierogi dough.

Submitted by: CM
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Breezey Breezey
Breezey Breezey
SNOOKUMS
SNOOKUMS

Back to top Go down

Have you ever eaten, or made, Perogis? Empty Re: Have you ever eaten, or made, Perogis?

Post by Guest Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:17 am

NOpe! Never made any,never will and doubt if i can talk my wife into it. Thanks though!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Have you ever eaten, or made, Perogis? Empty Re: Have you ever eaten, or made, Perogis?

Post by Tater Salad Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:20 pm

Yep to both. My dad was Polish. As children, we used to help mom make them from scratch, some stuffed with cottage cheese and onions, some with potato filling, and some with sauerkraut. Now I usually have to settle for store bought, unless some church event is having a sale.
Hint: look for the Ukrainian/Orthodox church in your area)
Tater Salad
Tater Salad
TROUBLE
TROUBLE

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:48 pm

My grandma who was from Germany used to make Filled Noodles,and we made them also at home when we were kids.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Breezey Breezey Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:03 pm

Ahhh.. Tater, I really want to make my own! smile2
I made Empanadas totally from scratch and every last person liked them! lol
But... I WILL look up different kinds. smile2
Breezey Breezey
Breezey Breezey
SNOOKUMS
SNOOKUMS

Back to top Go down

Post by roxanna Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:05 am

yum!! a Latvian woman gave me some to try, and the recipe,but to complicated for me,I'd rather some one else made them,keep us posted !
what is/are espanadas?

Tater, you must have grown up with some wonderful foods they sound delicious .
roxanna
roxanna
PROBLEM CHILD
PROBLEM CHILD

Back to top Go down

Post by Breezey Breezey Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:25 am

Empanadas...
PUERTO RICAN FRIED MEAT PIES
(EMPANADAS)
Dough:

3 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup peanut or vegetable oil
1 cup warm water
1/2 teaspoon annato seed (optional for color)

Filling:

1 lb. browned ground beef or cooked shredded chicken
1/2 medium onion, diced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 green bell pepper, diced
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1/8 c. chopped fresh cilantro
1/8 c. sliced green olives
salt and pepper, to taste
1/4-1/2 jalapeno, minced (optional)
1 tbsp. tomato paste
1 pkg. Goya Sazon with annato

For cooking:

1 cup vegetable oil for frying.

DOUGH: Combine all the dry ingredients in the bowl of an electric mixer; add all wet ingredients. Mix for about 3 minutes until well combined. Dough will form.Remove dough and knead for about 3 minutes, let sit wrapped in plastic-wrap for another 15 minutes.
Divide into 12 pieces, then roll into 4 inch circles.
FILLING: Brown ground beef (drain excess grease), or sauté shredded chicken in 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add all the ingredients and cook for an additional 10 minutes stirring occasionally. Let cool.
COOKING: Preheat the vegetable oil in a frying pan at about a medium temperature. Place about 2 tablespoons of the filling in the dough and seal the edges with a fork.
Deep fry for about 5 minutes on each side, then place on dish lined with paper-towels. Press another layer of paper towels over the top.
Serve. Makes 12 Empanadas.

Submitted by: Yasmin Hernandez

As with most things, there are variations. smile2
Breezey Breezey
Breezey Breezey
SNOOKUMS
SNOOKUMS

Back to top Go down

Post by Ja'aj Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:40 am

I have a question (and a 'fridge full of it - no joke!)
Does Cilantro come any way but fresh? (BESIDES [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] old and wilted)
I mean frozen, canned, etc?

Wow ! That sounds delicious, Bree ! It sounds a lot like
Mexican empanadas and ....
the very first ! bank I rob - I'll buy those ingredients [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] and try it!
Ja'aj
Ja'aj
WITCH!
WITCH!

Back to top Go down

Post by Breezey Breezey Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:57 am

Helpful information
I can find dried cilantro in the spice section at our grocery store.
The Empanadas are great! smile2
I am told Perogis are really good.
Breezey Breezey
Breezey Breezey
SNOOKUMS
SNOOKUMS

Back to top Go down

Post by Ja'aj Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:00 am

"Information

Sorry, but you can only delete your own posts."

NO KIDDING?!?

(Why in the [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] would I want to delete someone else's post? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.])
FYI : There isn't even a BUTTON on others' posts to delete it - and if we

dilly-dally about it our option to delete our own disappears.

Ja'aj
Ja'aj
WITCH!
WITCH!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ja'aj Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:01 am

Right! I forgot about that pricey little bottle! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Ja'aj
Ja'aj
WITCH!
WITCH!

Back to top Go down

Post by Breezey Breezey Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:19 am

Hmmm... since I don't see things the way others do here, I'd have to sign in with my regular account. lol
But REALLY... delete others posts? lmao!!
Breezey Breezey
Breezey Breezey
SNOOKUMS
SNOOKUMS

Back to top Go down

Post by Ja'aj Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:21 pm

"But REALLY... delete others posts? lmao!!"
EGGZACATLEY ! ...morons.... [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Ja'aj
Ja'aj
WITCH!
WITCH!

Back to top Go down

Post by JackRabbit Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:55 pm

Are Perogis the same as Kolaches? There is a small Czech community not far from here. The bakery there makes fantastic Kolaches - small, flat, bread rolls filled with different fruit, etc. Some have fruit, some have meat. My favorites: cherry and apricot. YUM!
dancing bunny I'm hungry now. Here's a pic of Kolaches:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

dancing bunny P.S. > The rabbit is ALWAYS available
for taste-testing of any baked goodies!
JackRabbit
JackRabbit
TROUBLE
TROUBLE

Back to top Go down

Post by Breezey Breezey Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:01 pm

Cottage cheese perogies, rabbit. lol
You are on a dessert kick!
Breezey Breezey
Breezey Breezey
SNOOKUMS
SNOOKUMS

Back to top Go down

Post by Breezey Breezey Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:02 pm

Now I want to make Kolaches!
Breezey Breezey
Breezey Breezey
SNOOKUMS
SNOOKUMS

Back to top Go down

Post by JackRabbit Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:53 pm

OK ... I washed my paws and I'm ready to eat.
Just put 'em in my little bowl here on the table.
JackRabbit
JackRabbit
TROUBLE
TROUBLE

Back to top Go down

Post by Breezey Breezey Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:24 pm

Jack... bunny... do you really believe you are going to just sit there and wait for food? REALLY? Don't you think maybe... you could help make the darn things?! lol
Breezey Breezey
Breezey Breezey
SNOOKUMS
SNOOKUMS

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:17 pm

I like them with a little sour cream on them. I buy the frozen ones and have some in my freezer right now. fridge
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Tater Salad Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:04 pm

daisy wrote:I like them with a little sour cream on them. I buy the frozen ones and have some in my freezer right now. fridge

They go good with sour cream. I like them with sauteed onions as well.
Tater Salad
Tater Salad
TROUBLE
TROUBLE

Back to top Go down

Post by Breezey Breezey Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:09 pm

I've never made or eaten them, but will be doing both this weekend. lol
Breezey Breezey
Breezey Breezey
SNOOKUMS
SNOOKUMS

Back to top Go down

Post by Tater Salad Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:28 pm

JackRabbit wrote:Are Perogis the same as Kolaches? There is a small Czech community not far from here. The bakery there makes fantastic Kolaches - small, flat, bread rolls filled with different fruit, etc. Some have fruit, some have meat. My favorites: cherry and apricot. YUM!
dancing bunny I'm hungry now. Here's a pic of Kolaches:

dancing bunny P.S. > The rabbit is ALWAYS available
for taste-testing of any baked goodies!

Pierogies aren't sweet, they are dough folded over around fillings like potato and onion, cottage cheese, or sauerkraut.
Oh, and by the way, in Polish, pierogi is both singular and plural, sort of like ravioli.

From Wikipedia:

"Pierogi (Polish pronunciation: [pjɛˈrɔɡʲi]; also spelled perogi, pierogy, perogy, pierógi, pyrohy, or pyrogy) are dumplings of unleavened dough – first boiled, then they are baked or fried usually in butter with onions – traditionally stuffed with potato filling, sauerkraut, ground meat, cheese, or fruit. Of central and eastern European provenance, they are usually semicircular, but are rectangular or triangular in some cuisines.

The Polish word pierogi is plural;[1] the singular form pieróg is rarely used, as a typical serving consists of several pierogi."

Well blow me down! Apparently some are stuffed with fruit
(I had never heard of this), so I guess some ARE on the sweet side.
Tater Salad
Tater Salad
TROUBLE
TROUBLE

Back to top Go down

Post by Breezey Breezey Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:33 pm

Tater, a recipe I found said you could "stuff it" with just about anything! lmao!!
Breezey Breezey
Breezey Breezey
SNOOKUMS
SNOOKUMS

Back to top Go down

Post by Tater Salad Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:37 pm

Are you telling me to stuff it? Shocked

But seriously, I suppose you can stuff them with just about anything, but I don't believe anybody stuffed pierogi with fruit traditionally.

Last edited by Tater Salad on Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:43 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : can't spell seriously)
Tater Salad
Tater Salad
TROUBLE
TROUBLE

Back to top Go down

Post by Breezey Breezey Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:40 pm

Lmao!! I just couldn't resist! (((HUG)))
I think you're right. Like anything, people just started adding or changing it to do what they wanted.

Last edited by Breezey Breezey on Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Breezey Breezey
Breezey Breezey
SNOOKUMS
SNOOKUMS

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:21 pm

They are not a sweet. They are usually used as a potato substitute.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down