YAFOOEY!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Memories
by Breezey Breezey Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:37 am

» Bombing Run for January 8th - This is what Panic Looks Like
by Breezey Breezey Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:14 am

» Music
by Breezey Breezey Fri May 24, 2019 2:03 pm

» I was sure the site was lost!
by Breezey Breezey Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:39 am

» Questions Only
by Breezey Breezey Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:14 pm

» Any plans for the near future/summer months?
by Breezey Breezey Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:35 pm

» More music!
by Tater Salad Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:42 am

» More good music!
by Breezey Breezey Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:38 pm

» Third Letter - Third Word - Make Three Words (word game)
by Tater Salad Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:12 am

» Stay Off-Topic Thread
by Tater Salad Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:11 am

» Rain, water and related things!
by Breezey Breezey Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:32 am

» Sad Song Lyrics
by Breezey Breezey Sat May 05, 2018 8:32 am

» What is a redneck?
by Breezey Breezey Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:19 pm

» A simple question...what are you doing now that spring is here?
by Breezey Breezey Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:50 pm

» Seeing (Each new day)
by Breezey Breezey Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:40 am

NEW YAFOOEY UPDATES
Subscribe to NEW YAFOOEY UPDATES by Email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

ASK AND ANSWER

DAILY VARIETY

______________________________________________________________________br"

PUBLIC
FAMILY AND FRIENDS
JOBS AND CAREERS ___________________________________________________________________________
COMPUTER SKILLS AND TECHNOLOGY
GENERAL COMPUTER QUESTIONS
INTERNET AND SITES

SPORTS
WORD PLAY

HOUSEHOLD HINTS AND TIPS
LAWN AND GARDEN

THEATER

HOBBIES AND CRAFTS
HOLIDAYS AND SPECIAL OCCASIONS
PLACES AND THINGS OF INTEREST

___________________________________________________________________________ AUTHORS AND BOOKS
POETRY
WRITING IN GENERAL

Philosophy

Go down

Philosophy Empty Philosophy

Interesting question came up today about truth and fact, are they the same?

thinking
P
P
LUNATIC
LUNATIC

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit

Philosophy :: Comments

Breezey Breezey

Post Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:26 am by Breezey Breezey

A fact is more impersonal.

Back to top Go down

P

Post Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:31 am by P

Is not absolute truth impersonal?

Shocked

Back to top Go down

Breezey Breezey

Post Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:38 am by Breezey Breezey

What is absolute truth? If it were absolute and impersonal, it would be more likely considered a fact. 
Even facts can be wrong. 
You know.. that planet that now isn't a planet... lol

Back to top Go down

P

Post Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:17 am by P

Q.E.D! Consider reality, whatever that is, as opposed to our internal preception and limited awareness of it. Fact accurately represents the concepts and attributes of absolute reality and I would argue that facts cannot be wrong by definition (although we may have difficulty in accepting them). Our subjective truth can be wrong, our misconception of the actual facts, held in good faith, and justified by our incomplete comprehension of reality (like believing the Earth was flat, or that a monster wolf had taken a bite out of the sun). Our subjective truth satisfies our curiosity, calms or fears, and allows us to take another step, albeit in the wrong direction, at any particular point in our development.

So there is absolute reality in which truth equals fact but knowledge simply doesn't exist (unless you believe in some form of cosmic conciousness). Then there is our subjective reality, a mental model of the real thing based on our perceptions, knowledge, and coloured by our beliefs in which our perceived truth is very much on shakey foundations.

Being human I can believe truth, but I cannot know truth with any degree of certainty. It lacks the required justification. Back to Socrates and Glaucon in that cave!

what

Back to top Go down

Breezey Breezey

Post Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:40 pm by Breezey Breezey

Facts cannot be wrong... unless so stated. smile2
The "truth" of the matter is we don't know positively what the "facts" are.
I have opinions I see as truth and even fact... even science cannot prove it's facts or truths.. just what is "believed" to be accurate.
All the fancy phrasing and such still is just educated guesses...
2+2=4 only because someone says so.. not because it really IS. 

I'll be back.

Back to top Go down

P

Post Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:09 pm by P

Returning to your example of the planet:

The reality is that lump of rock floating around in space. It has certain attributes, mass, density, size, which we invent to conceptualise and categorise. We can call these facts based on our definition of of mass, density, size. If we change our definitions then we have different facts. The facts are still the facts and it does not effect the reality of the planet.

If, on the other hand, we discover that we measured something incorrectly we update our facts. But the previous fact was incorrect, it wasn't a fact afterall, it was an error. The error was not the objective truth. Our justification for our previous belief has gone with our understanding of the inaccuracy, to be replaced with a new belief and valid justification giving us new knowledge.

Our model of our world is ever changing, isn't life interesting!

Yafooey group smiley

Back to top Go down

Tater Salad

Post Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:36 am by Tater Salad

"2+2=4 only because someone says so.. not because it really IS. "

I have to disagree here. You can call numbers by different names if you wish, but the concept doesn't change. If it did, we couldn't build skyscrapers or bridges or tunnels, or even roads or houses.

Brown is brown because we say it's brown. It would still look the same if we called it green.

Back to top Go down

P

Post Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:31 am by P

Interesting point, does this mean that by conceptualising we create outside reality I wonder? We can all touch a rock (or we could if we were in the same place) but we can't touch a concept. However we can all share that concept, grasp that concept, understand it. But to do that we need some commonality, common language, common values, and in the case of 2+2=4 a common number base.

I suppose to be complete we should consider that frequently forgotton aspect which is right under our noses all the time, opinion. We always seem to have one! I wonder how that fits in.

rollonfloor

Back to top Go down

Breezey Breezey

Post Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:52 am by Breezey Breezey

Colors are not seen the same by all and sometimes, what some see as blue, one person doesn't... and we have color blind people who don't see those colors the same way at all.
Some people see letters and words backwards.

Do you suppose facts would be different if some of those who don't see it all as the rest... did the facts?
As is, people tend to want to train the odd ones out to be like the rest.. to see things the same way.
2+2.... it is 4. What if someone else had made a system before that one came along? Or what if someone has a different system that works for him/her?

Fact or truth? That's where we began. 
We recite facts about things we learn.
I just always saw truth based on a more personal level and seen differently by many... adult vs. child, my side vs. yours, etc... and it was a truth based on one person's feelings, beliefs or thoughts.. not a fact the same for all.
I need to regroup and figure out how I want to word this.  I\'m okay

Back to top Go down

Tater Salad

Post Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:13 am by Tater Salad

If you have two stones in one hand, and two stones in the other hand, you have a total of four stones. It doesn't matter what you call the stones, and it doesn't matter what names you give to the numbers. The result is the same.

Another example: Water boils at 212 degrees Fahrenheit, or 100 degrees Celsius. Two different scales, but the same result. Water boils when it is heated to a specific point; regardless of what you label it, that point doesn't change.

There are some things that can change, depending on how we think of them. Our thoughts, emotions, feelings. The way we see things can change. The way things are can not.

Back to top Go down

P

Post Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:25 am by P

I'm afraid I'm one of those people who don't see the same colours as others, I make allowances! So lets take that as an example:

Grass is generally green, thats a FACT, it emits a certain wavelength of light corresponding to what we (shared definition) collectively accept as being green, its absolute TRUTH. We can compare it with other green things which we perceive, but thats our own perception, our relative truth, the shadow on the cave wall. We both see "green" but your green is very different to my green. We are both telling the truth when we say we see green, but its our own relative truths, and we are seeing different things. If we both took the Ishihara test we would get very different results. So I'm agreeing with you in as far as relative truth is concerned, it is a personal thing.

If you want a bit of fun Google "Ishihara test", its mainly a load of dots to me, and thats the truth. I suspect you may see a load of numbers!

Interesting point about seeing words backwards, is it related to colour blindness I wonder? I'm ambidextrous and the orientation of words makes little difference, even to the extent of upside down, and back to front. Never hold a confidential text up to the light in front of me, I'll read it through the paper, or make notes while sitting opposite me, upside down is childs play. I do have terrible trouble with right and left though, anyway I digress (as usual).

Back to top Go down

Breezey Breezey

Post Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:00 am by Breezey Breezey

I recently watched a movie where a guy kept holding up four fingers and asking everyone how many they saw. Four was a wrong answer. One person finally said eight and made the asker quite happy.  When looked at in a certain way, it was seen differently. 
Double vision?

Back to top Go down

P

Post Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:07 am by P

How did he know they all had two eyes?

Shocked

Back to top Go down

Breezey Breezey

Post Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:14 am by Breezey Breezey

P, did anyone say anything about two eyes? lol

Back to top Go down

lorry p

Post Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:13 am by lorry p

Facts and truth.. I have to ask.. Of everything we know to be our own personal truths.. what will you never let go of believing in, no matter how much someone tells you it is not so?

Back to top Go down

P

Post Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:59 pm by P

FRIENDS!

and (((hugs)))
Hug

Back to top Go down

Breezey Breezey

Post Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:11 pm by Breezey Breezey

Things I believe in and are a right fit for me... I can't change.
Love has no limits or boundaries and unconditional love exists outside the parent/child relationship... just cuz you can't live with the way someone is, doesn't mean you don't love the person, unconditionally.

Back to top Go down

Tater Salad

Post Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:11 am by Tater Salad

I thought this was appropriate for the topic...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down

Breezey Breezey

Post Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:54 am by Breezey Breezey

Good one, Tater! Cool

Back to top Go down

Tater Salad

Post Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:04 am by Tater Salad

Thanks Breezey! I immediately thought of this thread when I read the third panel, where Bucky says "The truth is more important than facts, Sir...", and Satchel asks, "So is that whole in my wall truth or fact?"

Back to top Go down

Breezey Breezey

Post Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:08 am by Breezey Breezey

LOL So, which one IS it?
The truth of the matter is... it's a fact!?
Or fact is... it's the truth!?

Back to top Go down

Tater Salad

Post Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:45 am by Tater Salad

The fact is, there's a hole in the wall, and that's the truth! lollipop

Back to top Go down

P

Post Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:53 am by P

Breezey Breezey wrote:I recently watched a movie where a guy kept holding up four fingers and asking everyone how many they saw. Four was a wrong answer. One person finally said eight and made the asker quite happy.  When looked at in a certain way, it was seen differently. 
Double vision?

Truth: you perceive 4 fingers. BUT fact, you see the 4 fingers in each eye, total 8!

Shocked

Back to top Go down

P

Post Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:59 am by P

Tater Salad wrote:The fact is, there's a hole in the wall, and that's the truth! lollipop

Fact: the whole of the wall is mainly hole when you consider the distance between the atoms and sub atomic particles. It's not generally the way you see the wall, ain't that the truth!

shocked

Back to top Go down

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down