YAFOOEY!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Memories
by Breezey Breezey Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:37 am

» Bombing Run for January 8th - This is what Panic Looks Like
by Breezey Breezey Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:14 am

» Music
by Breezey Breezey Fri May 24, 2019 2:03 pm

» I was sure the site was lost!
by Breezey Breezey Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:39 am

» Questions Only
by Breezey Breezey Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:14 pm

» Any plans for the near future/summer months?
by Breezey Breezey Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:35 pm

» More music!
by Tater Salad Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:42 am

» More good music!
by Breezey Breezey Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:38 pm

» Third Letter - Third Word - Make Three Words (word game)
by Tater Salad Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:12 am

» Stay Off-Topic Thread
by Tater Salad Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:11 am

» Rain, water and related things!
by Breezey Breezey Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:32 am

» Sad Song Lyrics
by Breezey Breezey Sat May 05, 2018 8:32 am

» What is a redneck?
by Breezey Breezey Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:19 pm

» A simple question...what are you doing now that spring is here?
by Breezey Breezey Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:50 pm

» Seeing (Each new day)
by Breezey Breezey Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:40 am

NEW YAFOOEY UPDATES
Subscribe to NEW YAFOOEY UPDATES by Email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

ASK AND ANSWER

DAILY VARIETY

______________________________________________________________________br"

PUBLIC
FAMILY AND FRIENDS
JOBS AND CAREERS ___________________________________________________________________________
COMPUTER SKILLS AND TECHNOLOGY
GENERAL COMPUTER QUESTIONS
INTERNET AND SITES

SPORTS
WORD PLAY

HOUSEHOLD HINTS AND TIPS
LAWN AND GARDEN

THEATER

HOBBIES AND CRAFTS
HOLIDAYS AND SPECIAL OCCASIONS
PLACES AND THINGS OF INTEREST

___________________________________________________________________________ AUTHORS AND BOOKS
POETRY
WRITING IN GENERAL

volunteer work .

3 posters

Go down

volunteer work . Empty volunteer work .

Post by roxanna Sun May 30, 2010 3:06 am

any body doing/have done vlunteer work ?
i have started recently to volunteer as respite, social visit and travel companion for elderly people . it is surprisingly satisfying. fridays i assist taking some people with dementia to lunch time concerts at the adelaide university,it was mozart this week, jazz next week,something different every time. as travel companion i assisted a charming ,wonderful lady of 92 .about 14 people including volunteers were booked into a 4 star hotel for one night, saw 'pirates of penzance' dinner out , lovely hotel unit that we shared,buffet breakfast and a few of the sights around adelaide.wonderful midweek weekend !! another overnight trip next week and again in july.
now the weather is cooler also do relieve meals on wheels delivery.
funny how things happen when you are ready,i decided i needed to get out more,meet people and improve my social life,do some volunteer work ,and booiiinnggg !! here it is !! all in one package .is that good or what ??? happy
roxanna
roxanna
PROBLEM CHILD
PROBLEM CHILD

Back to top Go down

volunteer work . Empty Re: volunteer work .

Post by Breezey Breezey Sun May 30, 2010 6:24 am

Roxanna, it sounds like you are going to be quite busy! It also sounds like you are going to make a great difference in people's lives. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Just from what you have said, it sure sounds like you will benefit too. Helping others and knowing you DO make a difference is such a great feeling! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

"funny how things happen when you are ready,i decided i needed to get out
more,meet people and improve my social life,do some volunteer work ,and
booiiinnggg !! here it is !! all in one package .is that good or what
???"
Ya did good and I know this will make me sound like a nut, but... I'm proud of you! It takes someone special to do that. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Until last year, I volunteered at an abuse shelter for women and children. Before that, I volunteered at a homeless shelter. Ten years total between the two. The main thing I did was child care, but helped with other things when needed.
I finally had to quit.. I think it was burn out? Not sure... just know I really needed a break from it all.
Breezey Breezey
Breezey Breezey
SNOOKUMS
SNOOKUMS

Back to top Go down

Post by roxanna Sun May 30, 2010 10:41 pm

that must have been very draining to work volunteer at an abuse shelter, you really see the rough side of some peoples lives,without people like you, where would they go ? and helping the homeless ,what are their shelters like ?do they have a limited amount of time to stay there ? and who organises that ? well done breezey !!
i was on the committee to get a shelter for women and their children ,helped the women to get organised, i could write a book, i think you could write a library full !!
roxanna
roxanna
PROBLEM CHILD
PROBLEM CHILD

Back to top Go down

Post by Breezey Breezey Sun May 30, 2010 10:59 pm

The children in abuse shelters had many different problems and some seemed to have no problems at all. The moms... some stayed until they found homes and jobs and could handle being a single parent... others went back to the men, probably in hopes things would change.

Homeless shelters are not all the same. Some are for just men and they are not allowed to be in them during the day... only at night and have to leave by seven in the morning.
The one for men, women and children... a lot of the rules have changed. Each person is assigned a case manager, has to attend meetings daily to learn how to help themselves and find jobs, each is assigned daily chores, I believe there is a limit on time allowed to stay... unless circumstances prove the person just can't make it yet, not due to lack of trying. The amount of times a person or family can return to that shelter is limited now.
Breakfast is served at the shelter... usually cereal, toast, etc... , but lunch is not. People have to go to the Salvation Army for a free meal. Dinner is at the shelter.
Rules are in place about showers and keeping rooms clean, music, phones, etc..
Some volunteers help with organizing and cleaning and other people are paid to work there.
The thing that really upset me is when the top woman told me the shelter was a business and would be run like one. Homeless people a business.... just not right.

How did it work out getting a shelter for women and children?
Breezey Breezey
Breezey Breezey
SNOOKUMS
SNOOKUMS

Back to top Go down

Post by Tater Salad Sun May 30, 2010 11:13 pm

I agree with you Breezey, there are some things that should not be run for profit. Hospitals are another one. It's only been within the last couple of decades that a lot of hospitals became a money making enterprise; before that, the patients needs came first, regardless of whether they could pay.
Tater Salad
Tater Salad
TROUBLE
TROUBLE

Back to top Go down

Post by roxanna Sun May 30, 2010 11:23 pm

i supose it's neccessary to have rules, there would be a lot of people looking for help,and no doubt increasing daily these days.it just doesn't gell with me that people can be hungry and sick with no where to live in this day and age, it's inhuman.BTW, it's the same here .
it took 2 years of battling the housing trust ,to get a house to use as a shelter,the police and media did not take us seriously at all,and at that point my eyes were opened up to the lies and outright bullshit the media came up with. that was at the begining of shelters ,and we were only the second one in SA. that was the begining, things are much better now,with support from police and government tv ads stating no to domestic violence.
roxanna
roxanna
PROBLEM CHILD
PROBLEM CHILD

Back to top Go down

Post by roxanna Sun May 30, 2010 11:30 pm

tater i agree with you, it horrifies me that people could be left sick and dying with no help,in this day and age ,it just should not be happening .we do have free, or co-payment treatment here, but the funding has been cut to the bone and people wait long times, even years for operations .
roxanna
roxanna
PROBLEM CHILD
PROBLEM CHILD

Back to top Go down

Post by Breezey Breezey Sun May 30, 2010 11:35 pm

Tater Salad wrote:I agree with you Breezey, there are some things that should not be run for profit. Hospitals are another one. It's only been within the last couple of decades that a lot of hospitals became a money making enterprise; before that, the patients needs came first, regardless of whether they could pay.

I was once told you can make a business out of anything. Seems that is true. People needed food so grocery stores came about. People needed medicine and supplies, so pharmacies and medical equipment places arrived. People need medical attention or shelter... they are businesses too.
Breezey Breezey
Breezey Breezey
SNOOKUMS
SNOOKUMS

Back to top Go down

Post by Breezey Breezey Sun May 30, 2010 11:38 pm

roxanna wrote:i supose it's neccessary to have rules, there would be a lot of people looking for help,and no doubt increasing daily these days.it just doesn't gell with me that people can be hungry and sick with no where to live in this day and age, it's inhuman.BTW, it's the same here .
it took 2 years of battling the housing trust ,to get a house to use as a shelter,the police and media did not take us seriously at all,and at that point my eyes were opened up to the lies and outright bullshit the media came up with. that was at the begining of shelters ,and we were only the second one in SA. that was the begining, things are much better now,with support from police and government tv ads stating no to domestic violence.

In cities around here, many people do not want shelters in their neighborhoods. To an extent... I understand that. The abuse shelter has police there very often. The homeless shelter, some people use the place while they get tattoos, piercings, etc..
BUT... there are many who have jobs, but no homes or are honestly trying their best to get their lives on track.
Breezey Breezey
Breezey Breezey
SNOOKUMS
SNOOKUMS

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down