YAFOOEY!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Memories
by Breezey Breezey Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:37 am

» Bombing Run for January 8th - This is what Panic Looks Like
by Breezey Breezey Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:14 am

» Music
by Breezey Breezey Fri May 24, 2019 2:03 pm

» I was sure the site was lost!
by Breezey Breezey Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:39 am

» Questions Only
by Breezey Breezey Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:14 pm

» Any plans for the near future/summer months?
by Breezey Breezey Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:35 pm

» More music!
by Tater Salad Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:42 am

» More good music!
by Breezey Breezey Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:38 pm

» Third Letter - Third Word - Make Three Words (word game)
by Tater Salad Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:12 am

» Stay Off-Topic Thread
by Tater Salad Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:11 am

» Rain, water and related things!
by Breezey Breezey Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:32 am

» Sad Song Lyrics
by Breezey Breezey Sat May 05, 2018 8:32 am

» What is a redneck?
by Breezey Breezey Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:19 pm

» A simple question...what are you doing now that spring is here?
by Breezey Breezey Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:50 pm

» Seeing (Each new day)
by Breezey Breezey Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:40 am

NEW YAFOOEY UPDATES
Subscribe to NEW YAFOOEY UPDATES by Email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

ASK AND ANSWER

DAILY VARIETY

______________________________________________________________________br"

PUBLIC
FAMILY AND FRIENDS
JOBS AND CAREERS ___________________________________________________________________________
COMPUTER SKILLS AND TECHNOLOGY
GENERAL COMPUTER QUESTIONS
INTERNET AND SITES

SPORTS
WORD PLAY

HOUSEHOLD HINTS AND TIPS
LAWN AND GARDEN

THEATER

HOBBIES AND CRAFTS
HOLIDAYS AND SPECIAL OCCASIONS
PLACES AND THINGS OF INTEREST

___________________________________________________________________________ AUTHORS AND BOOKS
POETRY
WRITING IN GENERAL

Have you used anything run off of solar power?

3 posters

Go down

Have you used anything run off of solar power? Empty Have you used anything run off of solar power?

Post by Breezey Breezey Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:54 am

I know you can have all kinds of neat things in your yard.... lights,etc...
Just wondering if anyone uses solar power to heat home, for lights in home, to charge things, etc...

Last edited by Breezey Breezey on Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Breezey Breezey
Breezey Breezey
SNOOKUMS
SNOOKUMS

Back to top Go down

Have you used anything run off of solar power? Empty Re: Have you used anything run off of solar power?

Post by Tater Salad Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:15 am

I have a solar powered calculator, with a battery backup. The solar cells recharge the batteries.

I have also lived in a house that had solar hot water heating.

Also, if you think about it, we all use passive solar power to help heat our homes in the winter, by opening our curtains in south facing windows and letting the sun in.
Tater Salad
Tater Salad
TROUBLE
TROUBLE

Back to top Go down

Have you used anything run off of solar power? Empty Re: Have you used anything run off of solar power?

Post by Breezey Breezey Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:21 am

How was the solar hot water heating?

I have never used anything solar powered that actually had a useful purpose...except maybe a calculator.
Breezey Breezey
Breezey Breezey
SNOOKUMS
SNOOKUMS

Back to top Go down

Post by Tater Salad Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:47 am

It was fine. I rented a room in a building that had 8 units. It had a backup water heater, but the solar water heater was the main source of hot water, and with very minimal cost, it saved hundreds of dollars per year. It made me wonder why more people didn't use this type of system. This was back in the late 70's.
Tater Salad
Tater Salad
TROUBLE
TROUBLE

Back to top Go down

Post by lorry p Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:50 am

We have solar hot water. It is great and saves quite a bit. Not of much use through the winter. We also use a portable solar panel for when we go camping. It's great for re charging torches and lights in the van.
lorry p
lorry p
DEMENTED
DEMENTED

Back to top Go down

Post by Breezey Breezey Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:20 am

I am wondering why more people aren't using solar power for home use too.
Breezey Breezey
Breezey Breezey
SNOOKUMS
SNOOKUMS

Back to top Go down

Post by Breezey Breezey Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:21 am

So...if solar works, why isn't it used more often for daily things?
Breezey Breezey
Breezey Breezey
SNOOKUMS
SNOOKUMS

Back to top Go down

Post by Tater Salad Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:45 am

Formerly, it was the initial cost. However, as the cost of producing solar panels continues to fall, and as the price of fossil fuels continue to rise, you will be seeing more and more solar power in homes and businesses.

Last edited by Tater Salad on Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Tater Salad
Tater Salad
TROUBLE
TROUBLE

Back to top Go down

Post by lorry p Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:52 am

We priced solar power to run the house when we were building. We were talked out of it because it was going to be $14,000 to set it up. It would take a long time to re-coup those costs, let alone benefit from it.. and we were told by the time we started to be in front, we would have to replace the unit. The solar hot water system was part of the deal we were given when we had the house built. It works well to heat the water and reduce costs. The government took away most of the incentives for people to get into solar energy. No more rebates and the energy companies screamed because they were losing money. It's all about money!!!
lorry p
lorry p
DEMENTED
DEMENTED

Back to top Go down

Post by Breezey Breezey Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:04 am

Thank you both for your input.  I'm really thinking about this...
Breezey Breezey
Breezey Breezey
SNOOKUMS
SNOOKUMS

Back to top Go down

Post by Tater Salad Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:43 am

Lorry, how long ago was it that you got that estimate? My understanding is that prices for solar panels have fallen drastically in the last couple of years, and they are expected to continue to fall in the near future.
Tater Salad
Tater Salad
TROUBLE
TROUBLE

Back to top Go down

Post by Breezey Breezey Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:27 am

Tater Salad wrote:Lorry, how long ago was it that you got that estimate? My understanding is that prices for solar panels have fallen drastically in the last couple of years, and they are expected to continue to fall in the near future.
Tater... I think we already found that many things are not priced the same for us and Lorry.... that might be a big part of the price difference for solar.
Breezey Breezey
Breezey Breezey
SNOOKUMS
SNOOKUMS

Back to top Go down

Post by lorry p Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:20 am

Approx 18 months since we got that price for setting up solar power, Tater. We will check into it again I think. Pricing is different over here and our policies on things are different than yours.
lorry p
lorry p
DEMENTED
DEMENTED

Back to top Go down

Post by Tater Salad Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:59 am

If it's not much of a better price right now, you might want to check again in another year or two. I know I read recently from several sources that they expect the costs of producing panels to come down significantly (by about half if I remember correctly) in the near future.
Tater Salad
Tater Salad
TROUBLE
TROUBLE

Back to top Go down

Post by Breezey Breezey Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:37 am

I am doing a lot of research...going to be investing in solar power.... smile2
Breezey Breezey
Breezey Breezey
SNOOKUMS
SNOOKUMS

Back to top Go down

Post by Tater Salad Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:28 pm

It's a good idea, Breezey, who's time has come. Even if the cost of solar power doesn't come down (which it will), the cost of fossil fuels WILL increase substantially in the coming decades, making solar power relatively cheaper.

Of course, you will want to keep in mind that solar power won't be nearly as efficient in a state like yours, compared to a place like Florida or Arizona, but it's still going to be worth having
Tater Salad
Tater Salad
TROUBLE
TROUBLE

Back to top Go down

Post by Breezey Breezey Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:39 am

I have less needs than many. lol I won't have a heart attack if I can't use a computer or a television.  I don't need a lot of lights on, like some do! lol
Time to get busy and start checking how to use it all and what I really need.
Breezey Breezey
Breezey Breezey
SNOOKUMS
SNOOKUMS

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down