YAFOOEY!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Memories
by Breezey Breezey Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:37 am

» Bombing Run for January 8th - This is what Panic Looks Like
by Breezey Breezey Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:14 am

» Music
by Breezey Breezey Fri May 24, 2019 2:03 pm

» I was sure the site was lost!
by Breezey Breezey Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:39 am

» Questions Only
by Breezey Breezey Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:14 pm

» Any plans for the near future/summer months?
by Breezey Breezey Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:35 pm

» More music!
by Tater Salad Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:42 am

» More good music!
by Breezey Breezey Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:38 pm

» Third Letter - Third Word - Make Three Words (word game)
by Tater Salad Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:12 am

» Stay Off-Topic Thread
by Tater Salad Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:11 am

» Rain, water and related things!
by Breezey Breezey Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:32 am

» Sad Song Lyrics
by Breezey Breezey Sat May 05, 2018 8:32 am

» What is a redneck?
by Breezey Breezey Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:19 pm

» A simple question...what are you doing now that spring is here?
by Breezey Breezey Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:50 pm

» Seeing (Each new day)
by Breezey Breezey Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:40 am

NEW YAFOOEY UPDATES
Subscribe to NEW YAFOOEY UPDATES by Email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

ASK AND ANSWER

DAILY VARIETY

______________________________________________________________________br"

PUBLIC
FAMILY AND FRIENDS
JOBS AND CAREERS ___________________________________________________________________________
COMPUTER SKILLS AND TECHNOLOGY
GENERAL COMPUTER QUESTIONS
INTERNET AND SITES

SPORTS
WORD PLAY

HOUSEHOLD HINTS AND TIPS
LAWN AND GARDEN

THEATER

HOBBIES AND CRAFTS
HOLIDAYS AND SPECIAL OCCASIONS
PLACES AND THINGS OF INTEREST

___________________________________________________________________________ AUTHORS AND BOOKS
POETRY
WRITING IN GENERAL

Have you ever made your own toothpaste?

4 posters

Go down

Have you ever made your own toothpaste? Empty Have you ever made your own toothpaste?

Post by Breezey Breezey Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:53 pm

Skip the harmful chemicals in many commercial toothpastes and make your own. This is a simple, inexpensive, odor-eliminating, tooth-whitening, and very effective formula from Organic Body Care Recipes (Storey, 2007) By Stephanie Tourles.

INGREDIENTS
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon sea salt, finely ground
1 drop peppermint, spearmint, sweet orange, clove, or cinnamon bark essential oil
A few drops tap water

Combine ingredients in a small bowl and mix them thoroughly with a toothbrush, your finger, or a small spoon until a smooth, thick paste forms. The paste shouldn’t be too runny; it has to stay on your toothbrush.

Dip your toothbrush into the paste and use as you would regular commercial toothpaste.

Read more: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

***Notice... NO fluoride added. ***
Breezey Breezey
Breezey Breezey
SNOOKUMS
SNOOKUMS

Back to top Go down

Have you ever made your own toothpaste? Empty Re: Have you ever made your own toothpaste?

Post by roxanna Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:22 am

sounds good, i like anything that's home made ,from simple ingredients ,better.don't know what the ingredient is, but i use toothpate for sensitive teeth,i wonder if what ever could be added ? and how to find out what it is ?
roxanna
roxanna
PROBLEM CHILD
PROBLEM CHILD

Back to top Go down

Have you ever made your own toothpaste? Empty Re: Have you ever made your own toothpaste?

Post by Breezey Breezey Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:31 am

Roxanna, I will see what I can find out... but, there are also brands of toothpaste with all natural ingredients and no fluoride added.
It is also a fact that whiteners for teeth make your teeth hurt. I would think because of the harshness of ingredients used.
Breezey Breezey
Breezey Breezey
SNOOKUMS
SNOOKUMS

Back to top Go down

Post by Breezey Breezey Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:50 am

Maybe this will help....

Most commercial brands of toothpaste use chemicals and additives such as fluoride, saccharin and sodium lauryl sulfate. These ingredients may be toxic in large doses.

Most of the commercial mouth washes like Listerine contain too much alcohol which dries out the mouth. It is not good. These products give information in a misleading way. For example, Listerine label says that 1ml contains 0.22ml of alcohol. How many can make out that Listerine contains 22 percent alcohol. Why it gives content for 1ml when the recommended amount of use is more than 10ml. If you use such a mouth wash before sleeping, then your mouth and throat will remain dry throughout the night, producing bad breath and other problems.

Given below are recipes for toothpastes and mouthwash that you can make at home. In the homemade toothpaste, you can add antiseptic, anti-inflammatory essential oils, such as tea tree or peppermint, along with mild abrasives like salt, clay and baking soda.

Helpful Ingredients in a Toothpaste
The following ingredients have been used for many years for their antibacterial potentials. They cen even control the bacterias that cannot be removed with brushing, flossing or similar methods.

Baking Soda (Sodium Bicfrabonate
Sodium bicarbonate (baking soda), a mild abrasive powder can kill all the motile microorganisms in the mouth that are responsible for periodontal infections and other disease related bacteria. It will reduce the formation of plaque. It also act as a whitener.
Sodium chloride (Common table salt)
A concentrated solution of salt can kill all motile microorganisms in the mouth that are responsible for periodontal infections. However, common salt is not as powerful as sodium bicarbonate, but it is an antiseptic.
Hydrogen Peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide causes a foaming action, which helps to move away the bacteria from the teeth surfaces.
Glycerin
Studies have shown that glycerin has an antibacterial property.
Unsweetened Cranberry Juice
Cranberry juice has the potential of killing the bacteria so it can be used as a mouthwash.
Vinegar
A 50% solution of vinegar or apple cider vinegar can help to dissolve deposits of calculus.
Toothpaste
Baking soda, 5 teaspoon [whitener]
Salt, 1/4 teaspoon [antiseptic, abrasive]
Vegetable Glycerin, 5 teaspoon [base]
Peppermint or Spearmint or Pudinhara, 10 drops [fresh breath]
Mix all the ingredients thoroughly. Adjust the quantity of glycerine to get toothpaste consistency. Store in a wide mouth bottle.

Toothpaste for Sensitive Teeth
Vegetable Glycerin, 1/2 cup [base]
Cosmetic clay, white, 1/2 cup [mild abrasive]
Tincture of myrrh, 35-40 drops [gum inflammation]
Peppermint or Spearmint mint oil or Pudinhara, 7-8 drops [fresh breath]
Clove essential oil, 7-8 drips [mild anesthetic, for toothache]
Mix all the ingredients thoroughly. Adjust the quantity of glycerine to get toothpaste consistency. Store in a wide mouth bottle.

Mint Mouthwash
Water, 1 cup
Plain Soda drink, 1/4 cup
Vegetable Glycerine, 4
Aloe Vera Gel, 1 teaspoon
Peppermint or Spearmint or Pudinhara, 10 drops
Boil water and add soda, glycerine and aloe vera gel. Remove from heat and let it cool to room temperature. Add peppermint or spearmint or pudinhara and shake well. Store into an air-tight bottle.

Lemon Mouthwash
Water, 1 cup
Plain Soda drink, 1/2 cup
Vegetable Glycerine, 4
Aloe Vera Gel, 1 teaspoon
Lemon essential oil, 10 drops
Mix all the ingredients in a bottle and shake well.
Never rub pure lemon juice or lemon/lime on your teeth.

Tea Tree Oil Mouthwash
Warm water, 1 cup
Myrrh tincture, 1/2 teaspoon
Tea Tree Oil, a few drops
Peppermint or mint oil, a few drops
Mix all the ingredients and gargle.

Unsweetened Cranberry Juice
Take the juice in your mouth and move it vigorously and swallow. Rinse teeth with water.
Tooth Whitener / Cleanser - 1
Read in detail about teeth whitening cleansers.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Breezey Breezey
Breezey Breezey
SNOOKUMS
SNOOKUMS

Back to top Go down

Post by roxanna Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:06 am

thanks breezey , i can try those, many ingredients in my kitchen already. thank you
roxanna
roxanna
PROBLEM CHILD
PROBLEM CHILD

Back to top Go down

Post by Breezey Breezey Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:41 am

Roxanna... it surely can't hurt to leave out all the ingredients that you really don't need. smile2
I am going to be checking for all kinds of flavors and see what I can find.
Breezey Breezey
Breezey Breezey
SNOOKUMS
SNOOKUMS

Back to top Go down

Have you ever made your own toothpaste? Empty Squeezable Homemade Remineralizing Toothpaste

Post by Breezey Breezey Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:38 am

I made this new toothpaste yesterday and loved it! It made a difference to how my teeth felt and my mouth felt better. I believe it's because it's based on things that heal and have minerals. I'm having a hard time explaining, but hey... look up the ingredients and uses for yourself and see what I'm talking about. smile2
Squeezable Homemade Toothpaste

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Author: Wellness Mama
Recipe type: Beauty

Ingredients

• 5 Tablespoons [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
  • 3 Tablespoons [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]- This ingredient is not completely necessary, but just keeps it from tasting bitter. We don't cook or consumer Xylitol, but there is some evidence that it is beneficial orally)
  • 4 Tablespoons [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] at room temperature
  • 1 tablespoon baking soda (optional)
  • 2 Tablespoons [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] or you could use additional Calcium powder
  • 3 Tablespoons Distilled Water or slightly more to thin
  • 30+ drops of [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]: Peppermint, Cinnamon, etc or [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
  • optional: 20-30 drops of [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Instructions
[list="box-sizing: border-box; margin-right: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-left: 0px; line-height: inherit;"]
[*]Mix all ingredients except clay in a mini-food processor and mix well to incorporate. Once smooth, slowly add in the bentonite clay and mix by hand with a plastic utensil (bentonite clay should not come in contact with metal). If you don't have a food processor, you can use an immersion blender or even a whisk/fork in a bowl. Do not use an air-tight blender like a magic bullet as this create too much pressure
[*]Store in a small jar or a squeezable tube like this [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].
[*]Due to the nature of the coconut oil, this homemade toothpaste will be thicker when cooler and thinner when heated but should be a squeezable consistency at normal room temp (70-75 degrees). If it is too runny or too thick, try adding more water or calcium to get desired thickness. Use essential oils to taste.
[*]Use as you would regular toothpaste.
[/list]
[size]
I skipped the xylitol powder since the recipe states it's not needed if using baking soda....and I didn't add water... maybe because when my coconut oil was melted, it made it thinner? lol
Still working with it, but so far... I love it! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/size]
Breezey Breezey
Breezey Breezey
SNOOKUMS
SNOOKUMS

Back to top Go down

Post by Breezey Breezey Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:49 am

Added note... bentonite clay should NOT come in contact with metal. I figure if posted separately, it might be noticed more..
Breezey Breezey
Breezey Breezey
SNOOKUMS
SNOOKUMS

Back to top Go down

Post by Breezey Breezey Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:34 am

Day number two with this toothpaste. I now understand the reason for adding water. lol
Water keeps it from drying out and gives it "fluffiness" 
It didn't help, I suppose, that my ziploc bag had holes.  angry

I also got a fast reminder that it was also posted NOT to put this in an airtight container to shake it up! Seems my cover didn't stay on the container! lol
It was just a minor pop sound and it came off, but I understand it could be worse? 
After all this.. I still love it and how it works! smile2 love shower
Breezey Breezey
Breezey Breezey
SNOOKUMS
SNOOKUMS

Back to top Go down

Post by Breezey Breezey Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:35 am

Link for the whole post and comments.
Breezey Breezey
Breezey Breezey
SNOOKUMS
SNOOKUMS

Back to top Go down

Post by lorry p Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:21 am

No.. can't say that I ever even thought about making our own toothpaste.. but it seems a good idea. You are amazing ((Breezey))) (-:
lorry p
lorry p
DEMENTED
DEMENTED

Back to top Go down

Post by Breezey Breezey Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:34 am

(((Lorry))) Just tired of paying for things that aren't even made as healthy as could be and sometimes... cause more harm. 
I gave some of this toothpaste to another person to try and the results were good! She loves it and even told all her co-workers about it. smile2
Breezey Breezey
Breezey Breezey
SNOOKUMS
SNOOKUMS

Back to top Go down

Post by P Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:07 am

My Mum used to use salt.

yuck
P
P
LUNATIC
LUNATIC

Back to top Go down

Post by Breezey Breezey Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:19 am

Just salt?  Shocked
Many say baking soda is used alone... even that does not sound good! lol Then again, what's good for us doesn't always taste good!
Breezey Breezey
Breezey Breezey
SNOOKUMS
SNOOKUMS

Back to top Go down

Post by P Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:29 am

I think that during the war there were many "make do and mend" things born of necessity, such as cleaning teeth with salt. It's difficult to appreciate how severe shortages affected the lives of those of preceeding generations when we ourselves lead such cosseted and comfortable lives.
P
P
LUNATIC
LUNATIC

Back to top Go down

Post by Breezey Breezey Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:32 am

I get it. Although... I'd have to say when I was a child... life wasn't so comfy.
My mom was raising us children alone and many times, we went to bed hungry.
The meals my mom made... many times, born from necessity of what she had to work with.  cooking
Breezey Breezey
Breezey Breezey
SNOOKUMS
SNOOKUMS

Back to top Go down

Post by P Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:43 am

I would agree, I was lucky in a way just to suffer the after effects. Like you my Mun struggled to bring me up herself, but I still remember that there was a lot of "going without", something which doesn't register with many today.

fridge
P
P
LUNATIC
LUNATIC

Back to top Go down

Post by Breezey Breezey Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:50 am

Anyway... the toothpaste I posted about... it works well. smile2 It's not the worst tasting, but takes a little getting use to.
As for the "going without" part... maybe that's a new topic to start...
Breezey Breezey
Breezey Breezey
SNOOKUMS
SNOOKUMS

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down